Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Hot Hot Hot

It's a scorching 31 degrees C today (and 30 degrees in the house). Summer has definitely arrived and we are hot! Lauren and I are melting in the shade (obviously haven't ventured into direct sun with her). We have the kitchen doors wide open but there is no breeze so it feels hotter.

I must admit to having been largely unaware of the weather in recent days as I have been really busy at work last week and over the weekend. Not much opportunity to enjoy the sunshine sadly. However, at night we have been sleeping with our fans blowing in order to keep comfortable as it doesn't get much cooler.



Lauren has been grumpy because of the heat and her sore throat. The poor little girl has lost her voice but seems happy despite it. She has no temperature so I am reassured. She's not sleeping well at the moment but I'm not sure if that's her sore throat or the heat (maybe both!).



She seems to be eating quite well despite the hot weather. I got her to eat all of her chicken casserole this lunch time and two thirds of a yoghurt (her favourite is the Petit Filous) . I am trying to get her to start eating the food that we eat (but mashed up and without the salt) so that I don't have to cook specially for her. She's almost 10 months old now so should be progressing to grown up food soon.

We're having some salmon and new potatoes tonight so I will try her with that to see if she likes it! I hope she starts to put on weight after the problems we've had recently. The Paediatricians are keeping a close eye on her because of her recent illnesses and weight loss, but so far all her tests have been normal and it seems that it is not anything out of the ordinary - just the usual childhood viruses.

We're off to St Malo in Northern France this weekend for a well deserved first family holiday. I can't wait! There are lovely beaches in Brittany and I am looking forward to the great local seafood. We have booked an apartment in the old walled city of St Malo, which has markets, shops, restaurants and beaches all within short walking distance.

The only downside is that I have to take my work with me as I have an ever decreasing amount of time before the deadline for my paper submission. Hopefully, the writing will seem a little easier with a lovely glass of French Red beside me (obviously only one though...)!

Well, I'm off to make dinner; looks like we can eat it outdoors on our patio tonight.

No comments: