Saturday, October 06, 2007

The first month

I can't believe that almost a month has passed since Jocelyn was born. Tomorrow she will be one month old! The time has gone very quickly.

I'm still struggling to get into a routine at the moment; there are days when I feel it has been a real achievement to get out of my pyjamas due to the endless cycle of feeding, expressing milk, washing and sterilising bottles, changing dirty nappies and doing laundry. Jocelyn is waking up twice in the night to feed, which is not too bad, but it takes her a full hour to get through a feed and burp and settle so it still disrupts our sleep.

Grandparents 006

However, she is a really good baby and rarely fusses at all. She smiles quite often and has begun to really look at us and spend more time awake. She can now fix and follow moving objects with her eyes. Jocelyn seems to like cuddles, and of course we like giving them out!

Jocelyn 009

I must admit that I've been a bit down as I have had loads of problems with breast feeding. I breastfed Lauren for a year and thought that it would be straight forward with the new baby but have encountered all sorts of problems. I think Jocelyn is finally latching on properly, but I am still expressing breast milk to allow everything to heal properly. Just shows you that you can never take anything for granted. However, none of this has affected the little girl; we had her weighed this week and her weight has gone up to 9lbs 2oz (4.1kgs)! Clearly she is getting plenty of food.

Thankfully, the Caesarean section scar is no longer hurting, so that is one less problem to deal with.

We've had a lot of help from both sets of grandparents in this first month, which has been fantastic. My mum and dad were staying with us in the first two weeks after Jocelyn was born and Jase's parents were here the week following.

I think they really enjoyed getting to know their new grandchild and Lauren and Jocey definitely loved all hugs and attention.

We took some great photos of the grandparents with Jocelyn. Here's my mum and dad with Jocey and Lauren.

Grandparents 006

Lauren had some lovely smiles for the camera.

Grandparents 007

Jase's parents with Jocey.

Grandparents 003

Jocelyn enjoying cuddles with the grandparents.

Grandparents 001

From next week, Lauren will only be going to nursery three days a week instead of her current four. I'm hoping she won't get too bored at home and that I can keep her entertained!

I'm really lucky to have Jase at home to help me out at the moment, although both of us were gutted at the news that the job he's been chasing for the last 8 weeks did not come to anything. Jase is looking again for jobs now and I'm hoping that something comes up soon for him. It's been a really hard year, and financially things have been pretty grim. We're looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!

No comments: