Saturday, January 26, 2008

Car jinx

Now I really don't know what we've done to deserve this but both Jase and I have had car trouble this week. On Wednesday, poor Jase and Lauren were stranded outside the nursery in Richmond after breaking down. The AA had to come out to jump start the car.

Two hundred and fifty pounds later, we found out that the starter motor had died and needed replacing.

This morning, I was on my way to nursery with Lauren and Jocey when I had a blow-out in my car. Luckily, we were not going fast but there was a sudden loud bang as we were driving, followed quickly by the wibbly feeling you get driving on a flat tyre.

The AA came out again to help me change the tyre as I decided it would be definitely safer them doing it than me with the children in the car on a busy road. It was fabulous; they came within about 5 minutes of my call.

Lauren was really excited (!) as it was the second time she'd seen the AA man this week. She was fascinated and insisted on watching "man fix Mummy car" because "Mummy car broken".

After dropping Lauren off at nursery, we limped to Kwik Fit on the temporary tyre to get a replacement. The guy in there laughed when he found out that hubby had been in only yesterday with his car (and he remembered Jase as well)!

Sixty pounds later, I am feeling decidedly sorry for myself and desperately waiting to be paid. Our finances have taken a horrific pounding recently, and I still have all sorts of repairs to do to the house before I put it on the market, none of which we can really afford but have to do.

The new car will have to wait whilst we sort out everything else. Thank goodness Jase is back at work and I am back to work in March! Money is now a rude topic of conversation in our house...

No comments: